Friday, June 16, 2006

WORLD CUP CONTROVERSY


Are any of you guys soccer (football to the rest of the world) fans? Are you watching any of the World Cup matches? I guess not. Only the SC and I are home during the day when the games are being played in Germany which is six hours ahead of me and nine hours ahead of you all on the left coast.

I fell in love with soccer when I went to Wheaton. I never really understood it before I arrived at the Harvard of Evangelical Christendom. I happened to meet a number of guys on the team when I first got there and they persuaded me to come and watch a game. Once I did, I was hooked. It beats the heck out of watching American sports that move slower than molasses in January. Caleb, son #2, now plays rugby for the Grand Rapids team. There’s another great sport!

Anyway, I was watching one of the World Cup matches earlier this week when the commentators began talking about the major issue that had arisen in Mexico concerning citizenship. I was sure I was about to hear another discussion on the “illegal aliens” issue that has been boiling here for several months. I was wrong!

Perhaps you are aware that in the soccer (futbol) world, players go where the money is. Americans are playing in Britain, Brits are playing in Europe, South Americans are playing in Spain and Italy, and Europeans are playing in Central America. These players move to play for professional teams all over the world. Over the course of time, they earn either citizenship or become naturalized residents in their adopted countries. Thus, there are many Europeans playing professional futbol in Mexico. When Mexico chose their World Cup team, several of these Europeans made the team. Thus, the outrage among Mexican citizens.

Are you ready?

I’m not joking.

This is true.

The Mexicans are complaining that foreigners are coming in and taking jobs away from Mexicans!

Thanks for stopping by. You guys are great!

4 Comments:

Blogger Yakimaniac said...

My son is now a confirmed soccer addict. When he was in Germany he and a bunch of his Wheaton buds went to a USA-Germany match. Before they went in to the stadium they all bought American flags large and small. They didn’t remember that making themselves as conspicuous as possible in front of a large and inebriated European crowd might not be the best in this post 9-11 world. The idea was to get noticed by the ESPN2 cameras and call anxious parents at home to turn on the tele. The Germans noticed. They threw a few items at the Wheaties but it was all good-natured fun. Perhaps the reception would have been better if the kids had waved Crusader banners.

Since my son is interested in soccer, I am interested too and trying to understand the game. So far I think it resembles hockey with the clock running backward (or forward depending on your perspective). When the game ends it doesn’t really end and there are no time outs. Tournaments are decided by a point system and there are funny colored cards that are held high at certain times for indiscernible reasons.

I have concluded that soccer was invented by the French. But I enjoy all the exciting crowd noises.

5:29 PM  
Blogger Shiloh Guy said...

Dear Yak,

Thanks for your great comment! I'm so glad Son of Yak survived his brush with European soccer hooligans.

The longer you watch the game the more you understand it, much like hockey!

Did you watch the USA today? I couldn't believe that referee! I thought our guys did a great job being so shorthanded!

11:21 PM  
Blogger Yakimaniac said...

I sure did. Our goalkeeper was incredible! Son of Yak said the second half wasn't a match anymore because the ref took out so many players but I had my heart in my throat nonetheless. I'm glad it was at least a tie. We still have a chance.

The Mariners have been playing the Giants and Barry Bonds this weekend so I have had lots of great distractions from yard work. Bonds hit a homer in the first game. That game ended (5-4 Mariners)in the ninth with our closer freezing Bonds with a nasty splitter, Casey-at-the-bat style. Great drama! Saturday's game was a blowout. Eight to one Mariners. Seattle has had spoty attendance all year but everyone turned out to see Bonds.

Happy Father's Day! I hope your family has wonderful plans for you today. We're going to BBQ bratwurst in the backyard with all the Yak's extended family. I can hardly wait!

11:23 AM  
Blogger Shiloh Guy said...

Had a young guy from Germany at Shiloh this morning. He just finished his seminary training and is leaving for Germany with his American bride on Thursday. Apparently his particular seminary frowns on cable TV and he hasn't been able to follow the World Cup matches. He was so grateful to catch an update from me. I would have asked him to stay and help out at Shiloh but I'm afraid his seminary would have taken back their diploma!

12:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home