Tuesday, May 30, 2006

THE DAVINCI LOAD


I went to see the DaVinci Code on Sunday afternoon with a bunch of ShilohFolks. After worship we ordered in a stack of pizzas and had lunch together. Then we had a one hour seminar on the book by Dan Brown, The DaVinci Code. It was a very interesting conversation about the deity of Jesus, the Council of Nicea, and the establishing of the New Testament canon. Then we went to see the film.

First, Ron Howard and the screenwriters sure took a lot of artistic license with the book. You certainly could recognize that it was the same story but there were so many things changed that the story took on a very different emphasis.

Second, I came away feeling that if I had not read the book first the movie would not have made much sense. It felt very disjointed and it seemed to jump around so much that it was hard to follow.

Third, all the hullabaloo raised by evangelicals about the movie was pretty unnecessary. The attacks on Christianity are there all right but they are hard to take very seriously. I don’t feel particularly offended or attacked. The young guy who was sitting on my right is a brand new Christian and he was incensed at what they said about Jesus but that could have been expected. The movie comes off far more fictional than the book does. Opus Dei shouldn’t be so upset. But the Vatican and the French got nailed again!

I like Tom Hanks. I don’t think the critics’ criticisms are really fair. He was saddled with a weak script here. Maybe the best parts ended up on the cutting room floor, I don’t know. Paul Bettany is one of my favorites. I loved his work in A Beautiful Mind and Master and Commander. He was great in the DaVinci Code as the good/bad guy.

I guess that’s about all. I’m supposed to take another group to see it again next Sunday. I’m wondering if I might call in sick!

Thanks for stopping by! You guys are great!

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cancel your next viewing! I have heard nothing good about this movie. Save your money for the Blog Reunion.

8:15 PM  
Blogger Shiloh Guy said...

Dear YB,

Do we have a date for the reunion yet? Is anyone still participating in the Quadblog? If I keep blogging and everyone else drops out does that mean I get to host the reunion and save on travel expenses?

11:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Family Weekend at the "Harvard of Christian Colleges" is the weekend of October 27, 28 and 29. Can we all agree to work toward a reunion during this weekend? Will OG ever be finished with his remodelling?

12:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Shilohman,
My pastor spoke on the DVC book Sunday before the movie came out. I bought the CD of the sermon for you. I'll send it along soon.
Our parents are finally back on US soil.
SYS

2:22 PM  
Blogger Shiloh Guy said...

Dear SYS,

Thanks for thinking of me and buying the CD. I appreciate it.

I had a very long catch up conversation with Dad last night. That was quite a trip they had.

2:42 PM  
Blogger Shiloh Guy said...

Dear YB,

I am committed to working toward a reunion at the end of October. I will make sure to schedule someone else to preach that weekend. We should be able to arrive in Chicagoland sometime Friday evening. If we leave right after school we will get there around 6:00 central time. That makes time for us to have dinner etc on Friday evening and then whatever on Saturday.

Let's hear from the others now!

2:46 PM  
Blogger Yakimaniac said...

Dear Shilohdude,

As past MC of the college talent show, you must plan on attending the annual production that Friday evening October 27th. Hopefully you'll find they've carried on the tradition well since you and Big Lar led the antics. We've caught it the past 3 years in a row, and we'll definitely be there again this coming year. Funny how almost 30 years later the humor remains much the same. It's always a HOOT!

Mrs. Yak

3:03 PM  
Blogger Shiloh Guy said...

Mrs Yak!

Thanks for the inside information on the Parents' Weekend entertainment opportunities. I don't think we used to do the talent show on Parents' Weekend, did we? I remember doing "You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown" for Parents' Weekend my senior year. Anyway, I hope to be there!

3:37 PM  
Blogger OG said...

Reunion? Do I have to actually read every post on every blog to be informed of these things? And why is it always "Shilohman and Big Lar"? Does no one remember the OG and Big Lar talent show of 1976? And you will be delighted to know that the sheetrock is up and primed, and the ceiling painted. We are on schedule to have YB's room ready in August.

5:48 PM  
Blogger Yakimaniac said...

Oggie,

We thought the union guys had beat you senseless by now. I remember you & Big Lar's orchestration of the talent show. Good times.....

And by the way...when the YB visits your house, do you have a portrait of him hanging in the guest room? It's really the only way to know who your true friends are.

Mrs. Yak

7:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As I am not included in the Mid West reunion, and I doubt that being face to face you will feel no need to blog, I plan to start my own Blog and studiously post away and comment to myself.(Clearly I will have no syber responce.)At the conclusion of your cozy reunion, I will most likely suffer from multiple quad blog/comment personalities, as I will need to keep myself company. I am hopeful that Saginaw Sister will come rescue me from the insanity.

OR

Perhaps the SC and I will get together and hatch afew plans for the So.Cal reunion. Garage World Style.
I am not bitter, SYS

9:02 PM  
Blogger OG said...

Mrs. Yak - you are too kind! And you are absolutely correct about true friends hanging portraits. I still remember that split-second of self-absorbed vanity where I thought my face had hung there on your wall for more than just a few minutes!

11:53 AM  
Blogger Yakimaniac said...

My dear Oggie, what makes you think it isn't still there? :-)

Mrs. Yak

3:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home