Tuesday, May 30, 2006

IT'S NOT THE ROSE PARADE!


Memorial Day has come and gone. Good riddance! I attended my first small-town Memorial Day parade on Monday. Why did I do that? Simply because Anna, daughter #2 and Twin #1, is in the middle school band and they were marching in this parade. As a loving and doting father, I felt it was my duty to go and watch as she proudly marched past with her cymbals crashing to patriotic music.

The parade was scheduled to start at noon. Anna had to be at the school at 11:00. The temperature was already 90 degrees and rising when we dropped her off. We parked the family minivan at the school and walked downtown.

Downtown Caledonia is two blocks long. It has a tavern, a nice restaurant, a Laundromat, a couple of insurance agencies, a hardware store, a farm supply store, a Masonic lodge, and an old building that Alanon uses. Caledonia’s downtown has not yet experienced the gentrification that other old downtowns have.

We walked about six blocks in the blazing heat. This was the first moment that I wondered if I had made a terrible mistake. I found a nice niche along Sam’s Joint where we could sit. They were steps that led to a door that was no longer there and we could sit in the shade and wait for the parade to come by.

As you know, I grew up in Southern California. I think the only parade I have ever attended in my life is the Tournament of Roses Parade down Colorado Boulevard in Pasadena. That was a regular experience for me in my youth. For me, the Rose Parade is the definition of the word “parade.” Somebody should have warned me!

The Caledonia Memorial Day Parade started off with a bang! Two fighter jets flew over downtown at precisely noon. (How do they get the time so perfectly right?) It was downhill from there.

The VFW guys marched by and the crowd went wild. I just felt so proud that our boys are dying in yet another nation to “save our freedom.” Yes, that’s what the sign said. “Thank you to our armed forces for fighting for our freedom in Iraq.” Mia looked at me nervously. She’s always afraid that I will say something too loudly and get beaten up by VFW guys with their toy rifles. I just silently wondered how my freedom depends on what is happening in Iraq. Then there was a sign that said, “Thank you for your sacrifice.” I wondered, a little too loudly, if that wasn’t kind of a loose use of the word “sacrifice.” I turned to Mia and said, “By definition, doesn’t a sacrifice have to be something voluntary?” She shot that look at me and I shut up.

Enough of my left wing, commie, pinko ranting. Back to the parade. After the VFW heroes came the Boy Scouts and the Cub Scouts. Then there was the fire truck, the ambulance, and the search and rescue vehicle. Following these beautiful floats came the Harley Davidson guys. Six gorgeous motorcycles with big old fat guys with long hair and beards and bigger, fatter women sitting up behind them. Stirred my heart.

Next was a guy who has a hot air balloon business. He had one of his baskets in the back of a pick up truck and as they passed by he pulled the handle on the gas thingy and shot a flame twenty feet in the air. The crowd went nuts! The classic cars came next.

Finally! The middle school band!!!! I actually stood up to see Anna. I spotted her! She was on our side of the street! There she marched in the sweltering sun. That’s all she did. She marched. No cymbals. Nothing. She might have been humming along but I couldn’t tell for sure.

Three farm girls rode their horses behind the band and that was it. Eight minutes of riotous, patriotic fervor!

We’re all sunburned. Mia really got it bad on the tops of her legs. I’ve already had enough sun in my life to support thousands of carcinomas so it didn’t really bother me. I asked Mia if there was any other way I could demonstrate my love for Anna next year. She gave me that look and I shut up.

(After we picked Anna up she informed us that she was sharing the cymbals with the other girl because they were too heavy for one girl to carry during the entire parade route. I’m serious.)

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your Iraq remarks will make you very popular in the SC household. The rest of us conservative, Bush likers will still love you...but, first you must go see "United 93" for a refresher course on why, what and where. And, you must switch to Fox News for the remainder of this week.

Memorial Day is for those who died in battle defending our country...so, we had a bbq and went swimming the entire day!

8:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's really bad is that you have been in Caledonia for five years and this is your first parade. Sorry the celebration didn't live up to your expectations.

8:23 PM  
Blogger Shiloh Guy said...

Dear YB,

Make no mistake, my view on our military involvement in Iraq has nothing to do with whether I like George Bush or not. I actually voted for him! My first vote cast for a Republican for president!

I prefer Fox News to CNN or any other news channel.

Without having seen United 93 yet, perhaps you might explain the connection between 9/11 and our current situation in Iraq? Do you suspect I was less than outraged by the actions of those terrorists?

By the way, I also ventured out onto my superheated deck to barbeque the best chicken in all of lovely, suburban Caledonia! Wish I had a pool!

11:50 PM  
Blogger Shiloh Guy said...

Dear Anonymous,

This marked our fourth Memorial Day in lovely, suburban Caledonia. I know where I was for the first two, working at Arnie's. I can't remember what I was doing on Memorial Day last year. I think we were visiting friends out of town. So, this was my first opportunity. I think I should get the ShilohFolks to build a rose covered float for next year's parade. We could name a Miss Shiloh and she could sit on top of the float with her court. I could march in front of her in my kilt playing my bagpipes! Now THAT would make the parade!

11:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The connection between 9/11 and our current situation in Iraq begins with the general view that we needed to do something to protect those of us who weren't ended in the towers, planes and Pentagon on that particular day.

No doubt about it, we certainly didn't plan on the present mess in Iraq, but I believe we had very good reasons for going over there.

12:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear YB, why weren't we invited for BBQ? No more chicken wings for you!
SYS

2:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey SYS, the BBQ was a SC/YB event with the eldest living member of our immediate family (mom is 83), but thank you for trying to change the subject! And, I am sorely missing the 4th speaker of the outside sound system awaiting your rescue.

4:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You sure know how to stir up a hornets nest! I'm glad your wise wife knows how to give you 'the look' and that that you are wise enough to 'listen'!! LOL

6:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I absolutely refuse to go to a parade. In Santa Barbara there are lot's of parades and I used to go to them all. The Fiesta parade, 4th of July, Children's, Earth day, Christmas, and Summer Solstice. Being an artsy community the parades were actually really well done. All the usual fanfare, bands, dancing, Veterans, but also fabulous floats.
Twelve years ago when my youngest daughter was 3 and my elder was 6 we went down to State Street for the Summer Solstice parade. We owned a restaurant right on State street so we had a perfect view standing on chairs in front of the World Cafe. In this particular parade pretty much anything goes. All the kooks and crazies come out to participate. The procession even includes S and M groups a la San Francisco. (Not my kind of entertainment at noon with my children.) when the fanfare ended the crowds all flowed out into the street to follow the parade up to a park. It was a flood of humanity all heading the same direction. I had no desire to join the celebration I stepped into a tiny silver jewelry store with my girls and some friends. We browsed for a couple minutes and were ready to go back top the restaurant. I turned around and my 3 year old was gone. I looked outside at the swarms in the street and she was no where. I panicked and started making my way through the mob, screaming her name and whispering prayers. My girl friends stood in the middle of the street calling her. After about a lifetime of minutes in tears I went back to the restaurant
and there she was! She had walked against the flow of traffic back to the cafe. I can not describe how I felt. I was an extremely careful mother, and had never come close to loosing her.
This is why I boycott all parades

3:14 PM  
Blogger Shiloh Guy said...

Dear SYS,

Trust me, daughter #2 couldn't have gotten lost at our beautiful, suburban Caledonia Memorial Day parade if she tried! We'll try to break you in easy.

I remember taking son #1 to Taste of Chicago on July 4 when he was about four years old. His mom thought it would be a good idea. There were 1,000,000 people there that night and I was terrified that his hand would get ripped out of mine by the sheer press of people so I carried him on my shoulders the whole night. My back has never been the same since!

5:17 PM  
Blogger OG said...

Hey Shi-Guy - I had a wife and a couple of offspring marching in our MemDay parade with their Scout troops. My folks and I sat in the shade of a tree that I staked out at 6:30 a.m. that morning. Blistering heat and unbelievable humidity, but nothing beats a small town parade. And none of that kinky stuff the SYS describes - just marching bands, firetrucks, and lots and lots of veterans.
God Bless America!

5:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear OG'
I KNOW! SB is a small town (sort of) but ultra liberal and oh so tolerant. This surely tainted many a family event.
Now I will add to my list of 'things to do. Attend a truley Mayberry-esque parade.
S

8:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At the last parade I attended in Yaki-Vegas a nearby town sent a squadron of motorcycle cops who did precision drills on their Harley's all the way along the parade route. You haven’t lived until you’ve had 12 Harley’s do a basket weave right in front of you. But the best was the Mexican-American community groups who loaded people in cars, turned up the stereos and joined the parade. We didn’t really understand the significance of these entries, but of course at a parade you are supposed to wave and cheer – so we did. How can you not like this stuff?

11:41 PM  
Blogger Smoking Christian said...

We had great parades in both of our last homes in the last ten years. Still, I would go to one and try to avoid any further parades due to the July heat. (As it turns out, July is always a hot month in our hemisphere.)

10:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH BROTHER WHERE ART THOU?

9:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Memorial Day is a day to remember those who have died for our freedom. You should have walked to the cemetery and see the very moving ceremony. It's only a couple of blocks more and you might have learned some things. Also it isn't the VFW it is the American Legion. The guns are not toys, they are real as were the wars these men were in. You are missing the point of the day. They didn't all ask to go to war. We asked many of them to go to war-i.e. draft. It was a sacrifice for all none the less.

4:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home