Monday, May 15, 2006

SHILOHMAN'S NEWS AND COMMENT


NEWS COVERAGE FOR THE QUADBLOG

Senator Ted Kennedy was flying home from North Adams, Mass. last Saturday afternoon when the Cessna jet in which he was flying was struck by lightning. All the electrical functions on the plane were blown out including the instruments. The pilot had to fly the plane manually and it landed safely in New Haven, CT. Wouldn’t you wonder if this was a warning? When will this guy ever get the message?

Speaking of Kennedys. U.S. Representative Patrick Kennedy, Teddie’s son, had a little traffic problem of his own in DC. Seems he leaped out of bed around 2:00 AM, jumped into his car and dashed off to the Capitol. He thought he was late for a vote. (Well I guess he WAS at 2:00AM!) Anyhow, a security barrier jumped in the way and he smashed up his ’97 Mustang and got pulled over by the Capitol Police. He swore he wasn’t drinking. Next day he revealed that he is entering rehab for addiction to prescription pain meds. (Wouldn’t it have been funny if Rush Limbaugh was his roommate?) Teddie said he was so proud of his son for recognizing he had a problem. Good thing there aren’t any rivers or bridges between Patrick’s townhouse and the Capitol!

Did you see this one in the news on Sunday? HARTFORD, Conn. U.S. military troops with sever psychological problems have been sent to Iraq or kept in combat, even when superiors have been aware of signs of mental illness. Doesn’t that make you stop and think? And you were wondering how the Smoking Christian passed his military psych screen?

Does anyone recognize the name Sheila Kuehl? You people in SoCal might have heard of her. She’s a California state senator representing West Los Angeles. If she isn’t famous as a politician you older readers might remember her because she played Zelda on the Doby Gillis Show. She was so cute the way she wrinkled her nose at Doby and aggravated Maynard G. Krebs (who later turned into Gilligan). I had a crush on her back in the 60s. Anyway, she has introduced a bill intended to insure that future history textbooks include gay and lesbian history. Turns out Zelda is gay! Say it ain’t so, Zelda! That's almost like finding out Christie Brinkley is a lesbian!

The Pope has excommunicated two Chinese bishops that were recently appointed by the Chinese government. Apparently, the Vatican just doesn’t appreciate the help of the politicians in an atheistic country. The church says it only recognizes the bishops they themselves appoint. Huh! I mean, who do they think they are? I just want all our loyal readers out there to know that the Church of the Smoking Christian reserves the right to appoint all its own church officials regardless of what the Vatican thinks. As Cardinal of the COTSCO I would like to say, and I’m sure my protonotary agrees with me, we will not be frightened away! We will fearlessly take our stand against any persecution or prosecution!

Finally, I give you a direct quote, dateline May 4 Budapest, Hungary. Hungarian builders who drank their way to the bottom of a huge barrel of rum while renovating a house got a nasty surprise when a pickled corpse tumbled out of the empty barrel, a police magazine website reported. According to online magazine www.zsaru.hu, workers in Szeged in the south of Hungary tried to move the barrel after they had drained it, only to find it was surprisingly heavy and were shocked when the body of a naked man fell out. The website said that the body of the man had been shipped back from Jamaica 20 years ago by his wife in the barrel of rum in order to avoid the cost and paperwork of an official return. According to the website, workers said the rum in the 300-liter barrel had a "special taste" so they even decanted a few bottles of the liquor to take home. The wife has since died and the man was buried in a proper grave.
There must be a lesson here somewhere!

You guys are all great! Thanks for stopping by!

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That you Shilohman for providing this wonderful world news update - all the news that's fit to print. Including a nice reminder that the less we know about what we eat or drink, the better off we all are.

12:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why did I think that I was writing "Thank you Shilohman...", for goodness sakes I am wearing my glasses!

12:03 PM  
Blogger Smoking Christian said...

I, myself, appreciate a good, full bodied rum.

4:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pinacoladas are made with rum, by gum!
Mr. Yak

10:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was born with a very accurate gay-dar. I knew something was up with Zelda way back when we watched it as kids. Really. By the way, do you have ANY idea why our parents let us watch that show? NOT Guba.

9:48 PM  
Blogger Shiloh Guy said...

Dear SYS,

You amaze me. You're four years younger than I and I didn't even know what gay WAS back then! If you weren't my sister and if I didn't know you better, I would say you have to be lying! I wish you had the same sense about horse racing!

10:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not saying I knew it was that she was gay, just that something was off about the relationship between Dobey and Zelda. My favorite was Maynard G Crebs (sp? no me recuerdo) I did NOT know what gay was until Millikan years. One of my best friends, a cheerleader (I was his frequent "date" Key Club banquets, Choir Banquets...) Died of aids after our 10 year reunion So sad.
Why DID Mom and Dad let us watch that. Did Dad think it was funny?
SYS

8:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OPPS the double send. So sorry to litter your blog.

8:04 PM  
Blogger Shiloh Guy said...

Dear SYS,

No problem about littering the blog with double comments. See how easily I deleted it? It sure looks scary when it says "This post deleted by blog administrator." Makes people sit up and take notice! Gives one a sense of real power! Guess they won't mess with the Ol' Shilohman anymore!

10:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad you explained! I thought maybe a blooger thought I was gay bashing and wrot a crass comment on your blog. SHILOHMAN, A Hem... for the 3rd time---Do you know why our GUBA parents let us watch 'Dobey Gillis'? Maybe in black and white it was less realistic. ?
S

2:24 AM  
Blogger Shiloh Guy said...

My Dear SYS,

I'm sorry I didn't answer your question about why our folks let us watch Doby Gillis. I guess I thought it was a rhetorical question. I honestly can't remember anything about Doby that would differentiate it from Andy of Mayberry or I Love Lucy. Am I forgetting something?

But do you remember when our Moorhead grandparents would come over to babysit and Grandpa wouldn't let us watch the Addams Family because Morticia's dress was too slinky?

8:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes I remember. Gomez was kissing Morticia from her had up her arm and Grandpa ran over and turned off the TV. Then chastized us for living too close to the evils of Hollywood.

2:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home