Sunday, May 21, 2006

A BASEBALL DIATRIBE



Tonight I want to write about something that probably won’t interest anyone but me. I think it’s time I got this off my chest. It’s about baseball. If you want to stop reading right now, feel free. I won’t feel hurt and I wouldn’t blame you.

I’ve been a huge baseball fan all my life. I attended my first Major League baseball game in 1961 at Wrigley Field in Los Angeles. That’s right, Los Angeles, not Chicago. A brand new expansion team was playing its first season in that venerable old stadium which no longer exists. The Los Angeles Angels (formerly the Triple A minor league team of the Chicago Cubs) played the Detroit Tigers. My dad was still a big fan of the Tigers whom he had followed all his life in Michigan.

But it was the Dodgers that stole my heart. I used to sit and listen to the games on the radio and score them and save all the score sheets. I loved Maury Wills, Willie Davis, Tommie Davis, Jim Gilliam, Don Drysdale, Sandy Koufax, John Roseboro and all the old Dodgers. You could say I lived and breathed Dodgers baseball.

Then I started collecting Topps baseball cards when they were still just a nickel a pack. I saved up my allowance and lawn mowing money and rode my bike to the Seven Eleven to spend it all on baseball cards. I would go in my bedroom and close the door so I could open the packs of cards in private. The smell of the fresh cards and the hard bubble gum still bounces around in my brain somewhere. I collected full sets of Topps cards starting in 1964. (I still have them. Wonder what they’re worth?)

Throughout high school I was in the right centerfield bleachers with my buddies at least once or twice during every home stand. Five bucks used to get you into the bleachers with enough left over for a Dodger dog and a Coke. When I got to Wheaton I started going to Wrigley Field to watch the Cubs. I was truly happy when my beloved Dodgers came to town. I loved sitting in the left field bleachers in the sun. Sometimes when we felt adventurous we would go down to old Comiskey Park and catch a White Sox game. That was a thrill because I could imagine Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, and Joe DiMaggio patrolling that very outfield.

I still love the Dodgers. I check on them every day to see what they did the night before. Our local papers never cover the Dodgers. The sports page always says, “Dodgers-late game.” So I have to get their scores off the internet. But baseball has changed forever.

Steroids have all but ruined baseball for me. What really matters to a real baseball fan? I’ll tell you, all those tiny lines of print on the back of baseball cards that record all the records and statistics of a player. All the fun of debating with your buddies whether Willie Mays or Mickey Mantle was better. The biggest debate of my life, until recently, was whether Roger Maris’ 61 home runs in 162 games should be the home run record or Babe Ruth’s 60 home runs in 154 games. That debate was worth hours of good-natured arguing.

But what do statistics mean anymore? One could always argue about the fact that the Babe played before there were any black players or Latino players so he didn’t face the best. Or one could argue that massive expansion has so diluted pitching that today’s hitters don’t have to face pitchers as good as Babe faced. You could argue forever about the dead ball era and the juiced ball of modern times. But now the players themselves are juiced and the records seem to be nothing at all. Is Barry Bonds really better than Joe DiMaggio, Ted Williams, Willie Mays, and Mickey Mantle? Were Sammy Sosa and Mark McGuire as great as their records show? We’ll never know.

It makes me sick. Barry should have been banned from playing another baseball game ever. So should any player who has used steroids. Track and field doesn’t tolerate cheaters. Why should baseball? Maybe I’m just old-fashioned. Or maybe I’m grieving the loss of one of the great joys of my childhood and youth. I just hope Barry Bonds is out of baseball before he passes a real gentleman, Henry Aaron, for the all time home run record.

Thanks for stopping by. You’re very kind.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

None of us will ever forget the team of Vin Scully and Jerry Dogget. Although we attended a few Dodger games back in the days that you are referring to, most of my childhood Dodger moments were spent listening to these guys announcing the games over the radio. You truly felt as if you were at the park.

Jerry was one of our dad's customers although I never had the chance to bump into him at the clothing store. Who was your biggest influence in your game announcing days at Wheaton? And don't say Howard Cossell please.

10:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AMEN

10:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Remember do not let anyone sell your Baseball cards on E-BAY until I do the proper research!!!!!!!
SYS looking out for you.

10:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, did I ever tell you that I waited on Sandy Koufax and Carol King (a couple)at Louie's in Santa Barbara? They were vey modest and easy. (I seated them back near the kitchen pass out where you could see the chef's at work, a favorite table.) They had raspberries for dessert. A highlight of my restaurant career.(Them, not the raspberries)

10:40 PM  
Blogger Shiloh Guy said...

Dear YB,

Thanks for bringing up Vin Scully and Jerry Dogget. Those guys were my heroes. LA was blessed to have another great announcer for so many years, Chick Hearn. I broadcast play by play baseball, football, and basketball in college. Of course Vin Scully was my baseball mentor. I stole all his calls including his famous home run call. Chick Hearn inspired me for basketball. Interestingly, I copied Keith Jackson for football. I thought he was the best college football announcer of all. I miss Vin Scully. Can you get streaming broadcasts of the Dodgers on computer?

10:43 PM  
Blogger Shiloh Guy said...

SYS,

I'll be waiting to hear from you about the baseball cards. Make me proud! (And make both of us rich!)

10:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am pleased to be your consultant on E BAY sales of your Baseball Cards.Perhaps we can get that $10,000 back from the Romania phnone bill fiasco.

7:45 PM  
Blogger Yakimaniac said...

I love baseball. But for me, like roses and wine, it was an acquired taste. I finally fell hard for baseball in September of 1995. The Seattle Mariners—perennial losers of the American League—were 11.5 games out of first place and not likely to succeed, at anything. They set a team goal to go for the Wild Card. One player, Jay Buhner said, “No Wild Card, we’re going for the Division Championship!” They did just that. They proceeded to go on a September winning streak and in the final game of the series with the Yankees for the Division Championship—in the 11th inning with the Mariners down 1 run and both Game 3 starting pitchers in relief—Edgar Martinez hit a double with “Jr.” (Ken Griffey Jr.) on first and Joey Cora on third. Jr. poured on the steam and made for home. It is one of the most beautiful and oft-shown replays in baseball. Imagine Triple Crown winner Secretariat, in human form, charging toward the finish line in slow motion magnificence and inevitability—muscles straining, jaw set and eyes ablaze! The throw from the outfield was wide of the mark and Jr. slid across the plate for the win.

It was quite awhile before he was able to get up with all his teammates forming a human pile on top of him. The Kingdome went wild. Women were screaming, men were ripping off their clothes and small children were crying in confusion and fear. Lou Piniella was dancing around the infield like a man possessed.

Seattle, the Mariners and I were changed forever.

3:42 AM  
Blogger Shiloh Guy said...

Yak,

Good to have you back!

You could have been a sportswriter! I remember that play so well. Those are the plays etched into our memories that keep us always hoping for "next year." On my 12th birthday my dad took me to Dodger Stadium to see the Cubs play. Sandy Koufax pitched his perfect game that night! And who can forget Kirk Gibson's dramatic World Series homer against the A's in 1988? Aaaahhhhh.....

12:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

baseball been berry berry good to me....

6:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Last night my son & I had the fun of watching the Angels beat the Orioles by a score of 10 to 1. What made the game interesting was the Angels pitcher, Jered Weaver. It was his big league debut. And he was great! We actually stayed until the bottom of the 8th inning. I never stay that long.

11:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home