Sunday, August 20, 2006

HARVARD OF EVANGELICALISM TAKES A DIVE



All of you alumni of the Harvard of Evangelicalism, you better sit down. Are you sitting? If you need a bracer, I suggest you go to the fridge or the cabinet and pour a tall one. OK. Are you back? All right then. Here we go.

The U.S. News and World Report has come out with their annual ratings of American universities and colleges.

Wheaton is listed under “Top Liberal Arts Colleges.” It is ranked number 61.

Ahead of Wheaton are colleges like Oberlin (22), Macalester (23), Wabash (51), and Wheaton (MA) (55). We are tied with Illinois Wesleyan. (We’re not even first in our conference!) Thank goodness we beat out Hope, Lake Forest, and Transylvania (KY) who came in tied at 95!

Does this call for a day of mourning or introspection?

And they think things have gotten so much better since they got us out of there!

On second thought, maybe it still is the Harvard of Evangelicalism because Harvard came in third behind Princeton and Yale!

6 Comments:

Blogger Smoking Christian said...

Well, it's a good thing I checked the list before I said anything too snide.

Westmont came in at a strong 104.

It ranked only slightly above "Eddie Gimble's School of Beauty" in Scranton, Penn.

Now, I'm going to hold my breath and go look for Biola. Let's keep our fingers crossed. Do you think it will even be on the list?

CAST YOUR VOTE!

0 NO! IT COULDN'T BE! LA MIRADA IS NO PLACE TO LEARN ANYTHING OTHER THAN TO STUDY THE EFFECTS OF DENSE SMOG ON LABORATORY RATS

0 YES! YOU SEE! THE POWER OF PRAYER IS GREATER THAN ANYONE, INCLUDING THE POPE, EVER IMAGINED!

(Let's go look! Shall we?)

12:52 PM  
Blogger OG said...

Johnnie B is rolling over in his grave!

As for Biola, they appear to have escaped Liberal Arts ignominy by putting "University" at the end of their name. USN ranks them as a 4th tier national university.

1:40 PM  
Blogger Shiloh Guy said...

So I guess we can continue to refer to the Santa Barbara school as the Wheaton of the West rather than vice versa?

3:38 PM  
Blogger Yakimaniac said...

Shilohman,

You'll be happy to know that the Harvard of Evangelicalism did move up in one category! They moved up to #2 under the "Stoned-Cold Sober" category, just behind Brigham Young University. Time for the SC to pay a visit to campus with that six-pack dangling from his belt again just to stir things up a bit.

7:16 PM  
Blogger Smoking Christian said...

I'm afraid I finally finished the last beer from that six-pack. But, I could use some of my "Love Offerings" to make a down payment on another one.

By the way, the University of Calif. at Santa Barbara, where I was uncerimoniously tossed my degree, was ranked at 47 on the National University ranking. I thought it would do better. Apparently, all of the underclassmen think they have to drink and do drugs just because the Smoking Christian did when he was napping there. Big mistake!

9:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yakamaniac and I saw the same news report last week on the top U.S. party schools. UC Santa Barbara, where the SC and I are alumni, has slipped to number 10! As I was working full time to put myself through school, I experienced very little of this collegiate culture.I did connect however, while waiting tables at Hobey Baker's, a local restaurant and bar/nightclub.

SC - I am quite proud of the # 104 as well.

9:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home