Thursday, July 20, 2006

"HEY! PASTOR DAVE!"

“Hey, Pastor Dave! When will you schedule a trip to the Holy Land for our church people?” I can’t tell you how many times over the last 22 years I’ve heard that question. Here’s my answer, yes, my final answer: “Never!” You would have to be nuts to voluntarily go to Israel, Palestine, Lebanon, Syria, et al, these days. I really don’t care if you have relatives over there or not. Stay away. Why? Because there is going to be a war! When? Anytime now! And then when the war that we all knew was going to happen actually starts, Americans in Lebanon start complaining that the US government didn’t have a good enough plan to get them out of there. You guys know I’m not a flag-waving, patriotic, America-love-it-or-leave-it kind of guy, but if you’re going to go to Lebanon or Israel or Palestine you better have a plan B to get out! I just don’t think you should expect the government to come to the rescue of the terminally stupid!

“Hey, Pastor Dave! Don’t hold back! Tell us what you really think!” OK. The Lebanese government knew Hezbollah was using their country as a base. They knew Hezbollah is committed to the destruction of Israel. They knew Israel would never put up with that. They knew Israel’s history of dealing with countries that threatened them or that gave aid to groups that threatened them. I’m sorry but the government of Lebanon saw this coming and didn’t do anything about it. They had plenty of warnings from Israel. I doubt they are surprised.

“Hey, Pastor Dave! Does that mean you support Israel and what they’re doing?” No. I’m just saying it was inevitable. It’s just a fact. When you have a group of terrorists openly threatening Israel and the Israelis find out where they are, what do you think is going to happen? They never asked for my support or my opinion. You know whom I feel sorry for? The Lebanese citizens. Thousands of them are homeless today because their government was stupid. They have no airport because their government was stupid. They have no power or water because their government was stupid. I feel so bad for the common person in Lebanon that I would like to send a bunch of cruise liners over there and just say, “Hey! You guys want to get out of here? We’ll drop you off in France if you want.” I read a quote from an American fleeing Lebanon. She said, “This war is unfair! It’s unfair if you see buildings fall and there are people inside.” Sorry. I’m sure Israel intended to fight a fair war.

“Hey, Pastor Dave! What’s the answer to stopping war?” This is really a lot easier than you might think. War will come to an end when all the nations of the earth sit down together and promise never to take any land that belongs to another nation. War will come to an end when they all promise not to hate people because of their religion or cultural differences. War will come to an end when people promise not to pursue personal power anymore. Got it? Not complicated. Just impossible! I, for one, decided over thirty years ago that I would never have any part of it. The governments of this world can do what they want but they’re going to have to do it without me! I’m too busy with assignments from my King to mess around with their squabbles.

My heart really goes out to the people who are suffering as a result of this war. Either side of the border over there. I wish I could do something for them. They are the ones my King is concerned about.

I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks for stopping by.

(Written from the Essential Bean coffee shop in lovely, suburban Caledonia. I am identifying with the homeless right now. My realtor kicked me out of the house while she takes pictures and shows it to her colleagues from her office. I prefer my version of homelessness.)

6 Comments:

Blogger Yakimaniac said...

Hey, Pastor Dave!
Stop beating around the bush! Just tell us what you think!


(Welcome back. We missed you.)

4:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am in total agreement with at least 99% of what you just wrote and I am working on the final 1% so we can be of one accord...and I don't mean a Honda Accord either, yuk, yuk.

Did the Americans in Lebanon expect Scotty to simply beam them up?

12:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave, Tom Friedman on Tim Russert's show on CNBC last night echoed what you said. He must be reading your blog.

Even the Arab world understands what is going on here. I agree that it is heartbreaking for the Lebanese people. Yooper

8:15 AM  
Blogger Smoking Christian said...

If the United Nations had done what I suggested back in 1948, which was to reinstate the land of Israel in Northern Canada, this would not be happening. You don't like being thrown out of your house for a couple of hours? Try over 50 years.

It was like if the United Nations gave New York back to the original Indians.
And then Russia armed the Indians to the teeth so you couldn't even go back to pick up your dry cleaning.

If the US handed the city of Jackson, Mississippi or Compton, CA the kind of percaptita dollars we give Israel, they would be having a much better time. But we'd rather keep a good ally in the oil region than save countless black children from being gun downed in drivebys.

I think you should be ashamed of yourself for buying those two new Hummers for you and your wife! It's people like you who really get my goat. And I wish you'd give me that goat back! How I miss her...

2:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find it interesting that our dear parents of all people, have been prevented on more than one occasion from a long planed trip to the Holy Lands.Hmmm.?

I find it hard to fathum that civilian Americans, having made HUGE amounts of money in this region of are complaining about payment and speed of transport out of Lebannon at the cost of theAmerican Gov. PLAN B! YES!
Lebonese government stupid. YES!


Still now, in what was Yugoslavia,
the Serbian's desire to conquor an oceanside strip of Crotia continues to simmer. This a similar ancient battle over land and religious history.

2:41 AM  
Blogger OG said...

Amen, Shiloh-Guy. At our home we are currently praying for the family of our former neighbors from our last neighborhood in TGPN. A lovely Lebanese family - Catholic if you must know - with whom we became quite close. They are anxiously awaiting word from family members who, hopefully, were able to flee to safety.

Before they moved into the neighborhood, their house was occupied by the obligatory lesbian couple (a requirement under the CC&Rs of most neighborhoods in TGPN). It was very easy to swap a couple of syllables and adapt to our new neighbors.

I am glad I visited the Holy Lands in the mid-70s with the Harvard of Evangelicalism's summer semester requirement. But I join you in not wanting to return.

3:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home