Sunday, July 30, 2006

HOUSE FOR SALE! 2

The Moorhead Manse has been on the market for two weeks now. This continues to be a rather difficult trial; a test of faith. Humanly speaking, it hasn’t gone well.

We had our first open house last Sunday, 23 July. Our realtor told us not to come home from church until after 3:00. It was a miserably hot day. We couldn’t just go into a restaurant and sit because we had to have the dog with us. He wasn’t allowed in the house during the open time. Caspian is a white standard poodle. (My wife’s!) He would turn into some French fricassee if we left in him the family minivan on such a hot day. The realtor said she had five families go through. We never heard from any of them again.

Then last Wednesday she called a said another realtor had a client who wanted to see our house that evening between 7:00 and 8:00. Perfect! I was teaching that night and it wouldn’t be hard to get everyone out of the house. That realtor told our realtor that ours was the shabbiest house he showed this family. He had a list of complaints as long as my hand! Picky, picky, picky! I was suspicious that this family was setting us up to make a low bid. I decided on the spot that I wouldn’t sell it to them even if they offered our price. “No. I would hate for you to have to live in such a dump. I’ll save you that humiliation.”

We had our second open house this afternoon. Today was even hotter than last Sunday! I thought, “No one is going out house hunting in this heat!” Well, I didn’t have to worry. Around 1:00 the skies opened up and it rained until about 2:00! The temperature dropped 15 degrees in about 10 minutes! But no one would want to go out in a downpour! Our realtor reported that a lot of people went through the house but she thinks they were all our neighbors on our cul-de-sac. Too bad they never wanted to come over when we were home! No nibbles.

The realtor wants to lower the asking price before the next open house. This is killing me!

Can God arrange for the sale of my house? Yes, of course. Can he do it this week? Yes, of course. Would I be happy? Yes, of course. If he doesn’t arrange the sale of the house for a month, or two, or three, is he still good? Yes, of course. If we lose the house we put a bid on is God still good? Yes, of course. So what’s the struggle? Good question. Thanks for asking. I think I’m pretty stuck on having things go my way. The struggle is telling God to do what is best for us and really meaning it.

I have preached for years, “It’s not about you; it’s about God.” Preacher, hear thyself!

Thanks for listening. You guys are really great!

5 Comments:

Blogger Shiloh Guy said...

By the way, thanks to you who made comments on my last posting about the situation in Lebanon and Israel. They were very thoughtful and interesting comments. I appreciate your time!

12:02 AM  
Blogger Yakimaniac said...

Great post! As one who has been in similar circumstances (awaiting God), I can relate with all my heart. I admire your perspective even though it sounds like the struggle to maintain it isn't over. My guess is there are lessons in it for everyone, not the least of which are the ones the younger Moorheads will learn watching how their parents depend on God during adversity.

11:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

epThe family that God wants to own your home is not yet ready. You have to wait for them.

10:53 PM  
Blogger Smoking Christian said...

Heaven knows I was in your shoes this year. I'm just glad we sold our home before the president of the Realtor Association announced it was now, officially a buyer's market! Plus, we didn't have the nation's worse ever heat wave to go out into every time we had to vacate the home for yet another looky-lu. That would have been a Drag Royalle!

Whatever you do, never say "things could be worse" no matter how much you are tempted. Every time I even think those words, things do get worse! Every morning I want you to stand in front of the mirror and say to yourself, "Things could not get any worse than this!" no matter how much you know that you are lying to yourself. Maybe that will work. Please let me know.

Speaking of which, my yb spent the week in New York. So, he got to fully enjoy triple digit temperatures here in California, then rush to New York just in time to enjoy it all over again! By this weekend he'll be in your state. Expect horrible/deadly weather to hit later today! Are deadly tornados possible in Saginaw? I'll be watching the Weather Channel constantly to see what horrible trick of nature destroys Michigan this weekend. If I were you, I would high tail it up to Canada and wait for Mark to fly out next week for the safety of you and your lovely yet pious family.
(Yes! I'm very concerned for your safety. You can always rebuild your home after the deadly tornado strike.)

11:02 AM  
Blogger OG said...

So, a week ago last evening that "shabby" realtor brought those "shabby" people around and they were picky, picky, picky.

Pop quiz: One week later, would you sell to them today if they met your price?

3:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home