Saturday, July 08, 2006

PRAYING FOR A HOUSE


In my previous post, Moving Blues Part 2, June 28, I mentioned that we found another very promising home. I said it was an Arts and Crafts bungalow built in the ‘30s. Turns out it was built in 1920. We’ve been through it three times now. Last Monday we had a good friend who is a contractor go through it with us. He pronounced it very solid and said we could move into it just like it is. It will take some work. For example, it only has one bathroom; but we can add one in the basement easily enough. Back in the ‘50s and ‘60s there was little appreciation for the beauty of the Mission style of architecture so the owner put in drop ceilings and paneled the entire interior of the house. Pretty soon we will want to fix that up. Also, we should put a new electrical service in and get rid of the old fuses and stuff. But this is almost all cosmetic and we can take our time doing it. (Except for the bathroom! We need that yesterday!)

The house is for sale by owner. We met with the owner’s daughter-in-law who is handling the sale on Friday and made an offer on the house. It was significantly less than their asking price but there is a lot that has to be done and we don’t think we can pay their price. We offered a generous earnest money payment. The lady said she would stop showing it and give us six months to sell our house. I thought that was generous and fair.

She called us Friday night to let us know what her mother-in-law said. She accepted our price with the condition that they be allowed to continue to show the house and give us a chance to match an offer. Also, they only wanted to hold the house for three months. I was just a little disappointed but I honestly think this is still pretty fair. After all, we don’t even have our home on the market yet!

Well, here’s my point. I’m having an interesting time praying about this. I really want this house. I want it for Mia most of all. It’s like her dream house. It’s in a nicer neighborhood than the Victorian we were looking at and this house would fit our family much better. Yes, I really want this house. I keep telling the Lord that I would really like it if he would work it out for us to have it. He keeps NOT promising it to me. I’m happy she accepted our offer but she didn’t TOTALLY accept it.

I tell the Lord that most of all I want to be in the house he wants us in. If this isn’t the one then I don’t want it. After all, our personal comfort may not be the most important thing to him. He may want us in another house for completely different reasons than what we like. He may want us to meet other neighbors in another neighborhood completely.

I tell the Lord that things are out of my hands and I am entrusting the whole matter to him. I don’t have the energy to keep trying to figure out all the various possibilities and what we should do in each of them.

I find it takes a lot of effort to not take matters into my own hands. I find it consumes energy to not worry. I find it physically exhausting to intentionally yield my own will to his. It actually reminds me of how I was feeling so tired when Roz was dying. Waiting just wore me out and it’s wearing me out now!

So, my friends, do you have any advice for me? I’m excited to see what the Lord is going to do for us. At the same time, we’re going through an interesting period of the testing of our faith. If you know how to pray for us, I invite you to do so.

Lord, the truth is, I really want this house!

You’re all great! Thanks for stopping by!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We will be praying for you as well old friend.

12:36 AM  
Blogger Yakimaniac said...

This house looks very much like the house I grew up in, my parents house still. It was completed in 1919. I have pictures of it on line if you're interested.

12:42 PM  
Blogger Shiloh Guy said...

Dear Yak,

So sorry. This isn't the house we're hoping to buy. It's the closest thing to it I could find on the 'net. Why don't I take my digital camera over there and take a shot of it? Because I'm not exactly sure how to get them from the camera to the computer. OK. You can stop laughing now.

6:53 PM  
Blogger Shiloh Guy said...

Oh yeah, Yak,

I'd love to see pictures of your folks' house if it isn't too much trouble. Just put them on your site accompanied by one of your always witty postings. I know it isn't too much trouble for you, it would be for me. I'm going to try though!

6:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave (dear Shilohman)
When John and I tried to buy the house we were renting for 6 plus years the owners were very stubborn on the price. That is when we put 'Rancho Cucamonga with pool' in the computer. 2 came up. Our home was as you know a dump, far worse than a fixer upper. We're now in a house that is worth much more. After the equity loans we have taken out to fix it up, we love it. The point is I was praying that we end up in the right place, as you are praying now. I am quite hopeful you get this home. (It is my favorite style as well.)
Something will happen to make it clear.

1:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home