Monday, June 19, 2006

A FATHER'S TRIBUTE


In about fifteen minutes another Father’s Day will be over. This was my 27th Father’s Day and it was as good as any of them. Things went well at Shiloh this morning. I had promised all the fathers Harley-Davidsons but Oprah didn’t come through. It did help attendance though. (Just kidding!) Then I came home and fell asleep for about and hour and a half while my lovely wife got dinner ready. Elizabeth baked my favorite dessert, a giant Toll House chocolate chip cookie. I got some nice gifts and spent the rest of the afternoon watching the US Open golf tournament and World Cup soccer.

I don’t know how good a dad I really am. If I’m not a great dad it’s sure not because I didn’t have a good example. My dad was and is one of the best dads I’ve ever seen. So was his dad. I guess I come from a long line of really good dads. I hope I can live up to the example they set for me.

On Father’s Day I feel like I need to say something about my kids. If it wasn’t for them…

Aaron is 26 and he runs a restaurant in Lake Tahoe, CA. He seems to be doing really well for himself out there. We sure miss him back here in Michigan.

Caleb turned 21 yesterday. I know because I was having a cold adult beverage tonight and he asked for one. Being the hard guy dad I am, I said no. He’s a hard worker and a big help around the house.

John is 19. He’s got a year of college under his belt. He spent much of today on the internet researching the armed forces. He’s thinking of the reserves. The lovely wife is trying to talk him out of the Army and into the Navy or Coast Guard. I think that’s a good idea. Not too many Navy or Coast Guard guys have gotten killed in Iraq.

Ben is 17. He’ll be a senior next year. He plays drums on our worship team and is very good. He’s also a talented artist. He has an artistic mentality, which means I don’t understand him very often. He’s also a computer genius and it’s always great to have one of those around the house.

Elizabeth is 14. She’ll be 15 on July 10. Lovely wife insists she was born on July 11 and the hospital made a mistake on the birth certificate. She has become daddy’s little girl. We love the same TV shows and sit and watch them together faithfully every week. I’m starting to feel very protective!

Anna is12. She’s the easiest kid in the world. She has some of the same artistic skill Ben has. Anna’s the serious one. She’s a thinker. She’s also amazingly responsible for a twelve year old. Anna always has her chores done first and then ends up helping all the other kids.

Mary is thirty minutes younger than Anna and is therefore our baby. Music courses through her veins. She has a fabulous voice. If music is on she can’t stand still. We’d love to get her voice lessons or dance lessons. She has eyes that just sparkle, literally!

My children have brought so much joy into my life. I’m glad I still have some years left with them. I just hope that someday they will write some nice things about their dear old dad when they’re blogging!

Happy Father’s Day, guys!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home