Wednesday, June 28, 2006

THE MOVING BLUES PART TWO


I just want to keep you up to date on the daily stresses and woes of trying to get one’s house ready to go on the market. I’m not asking you to feel sorry for me. I don’t even need your understanding. Just love me the way I am.

I have three strong sons living at home right now. They are 21, 19, and 17. It should be no challenge to empty the stuff out of our house that we don’t really need and take it over to the storage units, right? One of them can’t drive our van because he was dropped from our insurance a couple of years ago due to too many points on his license. One of them drops everything he touches. He dropped a box of Mia’s china the other day. One of them has perfected the art of disappearing. I get him to carry a box out to the van. I put it in the van and turn around and he’s gone. When I find him it’s, “Oh. There’s more?” Then try to juggle their work schedules so there are a couple of them around at the same time to help. The boxes around my house have been driving me nuts. Why are they still here?

We bought paint for the newly completed basement. Our friend, the realtor, nixed it. “Too bright to put on the market,” she said. Over $60 of paint and this Scotsman is going to throw it away? Think again. Took it to Home Depot, pulled my Civil War revolver on the paint guy (who is a really good friend and understands my stress) and told him to make it lighter somehow. “But Dave, you can’t make paint lighter! Only darker!” “You’re the paint genius! Make it happen!” So he sold me two gallons of white for each gallon of “too bright” and told me to mix it at home.

I went into the garage to see what was ready to go to the storage unit. Mia had told two of the boys to clean out the basement. So there was the TV and DVD player sitting in the garage. There was one’s dresser. All this stuff from the basement. “What are you putting your clothes in if your dresser is down here?” “Dunno.” “People are coming to look at the house. Where will your clothes be?” “Dunno.” “Take it back downstairs. And if the TV is up here, what are you going to watch while we’re still living here?” “Dunno.” “Take it back.” Are you feeling my pain?

Daughter #1 wanted to help today. She can carry more boxes faster than a couple of the boys and she’s still smiling. All you sexist, macho, pigs, take that!

Found another very promising house today. It’s an Arts and Crafts model from the ‘30s. Price is even better. More bedrooms. We’d need to add a bathroom and family room right away but the price is so good that we probably could do that. It’s even in a nicer part of the village. We’re going to look at it tomorrow morning. Mia loves it from the outside. If we could only get this house on the market!

Thanks for listening. You guys are all great!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We haven't had the pleasure and pain of moving for more than 15 years and I'm pretty sure that the Yakimaniacs have never moved in their entire lives...but, it has been our strange experience to help other families move.

My favorite stories about moving include the family that had absolutely nothing packed, prepared or otherwise "ready to go" on the move day! They did, however, have about 20 or 30 of us fools ready to assist them with their own personal disaster. Then there is the family who utilized the same 20 or 30 of us fools while their able bodied children went their own care-free way...that is my biggest gripe of all...I know you won't let this happen to you!

Then, there is the SC who always uses professional movers and simply pays them 1/2 of his net worth along with whatever items they find interesting...just kidding!

10:34 AM  
Blogger Smoking Christian said...

I'm sorry you're going through this.
It's no fun is it? It's especially unrewarding "moving down."

Often I found myself singing the old theme song from "The Jeffersons" only substituting the words "moving on up!" to "moving on down, to the small time, to that very small condo in Hell!"
COME ON! YOU KNOW THE WORDS!

10:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home