Sunday, March 26, 2006

CALIFORNIA HATRED

Why do people here in the Midwest seem to hate Southern California so much? I have lived out here for 33 of the last 34 years of my life and I still can't figure it out. You would think I might have learned just what it is that these people despise so much.

A lot of it seems to have something to do with sports. For example, when USC lost the Rose Bowl game to Texas this year I dreaded my return to Michigan because I knew what was waiting for me. I was right. All my friends just couldn't wait to come up to me and gleefully gloat over the Trojans' defeat.

Back when the Lakers were winning championships (seems like forever doesn't it?), my friends would come over and cheer against them no matter who they were playing. I thought that kind of hatred was reserved for Notre Dame and the Yankees. (You know the old joke: "Who's your favorite college football team?" "Whoever's playing Notre Dame!")

Now the UCLA Bruins have somehow fought their way into the NCAA Final Four. What am I hearing now? "They don't deserve it. All the calls are going their way. They've just been lucky." Suddenly, LSU is America's favorite team! The folks our here are just salivating to see LSU knock off UCLA next Saturday. They're actually trying to find some familial connection with Louisiana! Maybe they all feel guilty about Katrina. I don't know.

What did Southern California ever do to them? They say, "It's the land of fruits and nuts." I remind them that all those "fruits and nuts" came from the Midwest back in the '50s. They all have relatives out there who must qualify.

I just don't know. I figure they must all be jealous of the weather out there or something. I'm not giving up. Like Tommy Lasorda, I still bleed Dodger blue and will continue to support all the great teams of my youth.

By the way, it snowed here yesterday!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for standing up for So Cal! Saginaw Sister became a So Cal person almost 28 years ago and has never looked back. Perhaps your Mid West friends equate our part of the country with the Hollywood elite, in which case I would say to "hate onward...or hate away...or carry on my wayward son".

11:00 AM  
Blogger Yakimaniac said...

I love Californians, in California. When they sell their tract houses and settle here in Yukimoo its a whole different ballgame. Just yesterday an El Monte resident moved to our fair city and bought up all of downtown including City Hall and the County Courthouse. He is renovating the ground level floor of the courthouse into a mini-mall. We love the new Wetzel's Pretzels, Piercing Pagoda, and Beach Works but the Victoria's Secret store has the ladies in the Assessor's office very upset.

8:15 PM  
Blogger OG said...

You hit the nail on the head, Shilohman. It is envy, pure and simple from the 8th Dimension. Folks in SoCal enjoy the perpetual illusion of well-being. They look good and feel good which compensates for any shallowness or materialism. Folks in the Midwest grow old-looking before their time. The winter winds chisel and mottle their faces beyond the aid of even the most scientifically formulated moisturizers. They must comfort themselves with traditional Midwestern family values and Krispy Kreme doughnuts as small compensation for having to stay indoors or die of exposure.

2:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't understand this, don't they realize what 'BASEMENT ENVY' we suffer from,here in CA?!!!!!!!!
SYS
P.S. Hermano mio, este escrito esta tan bueno! Shouldn't we have an uside down !and ? on our keyboard by now? This Question now being heatedly debaited in Mexifornia now.
S.

9:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Debated (sp) Midwesterners need not hate Californians. I predict that soon there will be a mass exodus, if English continues to be this states 2nd language. People make me go shopping with them so they will have a translator. (Possible job opportunity for The SC?) Now the Immigrant High School students are protesting by skipping school and roaming the Mexifornia freeways carrying Their nations flag . (I’ve driven the toll roads of Baja CA, and strolling the highways is a common pastime there.) The schools are loosing huge sums of money needed to educate these non citizens. Nice. By the sound of them on interviews, this is not the 1st time they have been truant. Ahora
no puedo escritar mas, necessito fumar.
SYS

1:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home