Thursday, March 16, 2006

CREATIVE FUNDRAISING

Rush hour is just about to come to an end here in far southeast Grand Rapids. I'll wait for you Southern Californians to stop laughing. Rush hour for us is between 4:30 and 6:00 when we have to wait for at least a minute before being able to turn left out of our subdivision onto M 37. It's dusk. The lights are flickering in the kitchens and dining rooms of Glen Valley Estates where we don't have to speak to our neighbors for months on end. It's kind of a cozy picture worthy of painting by that guy who is called the "master of light." I wonder what Van Gogh would think of that appellation?

Remember last weekend when I was talking about the signs of Spring and how warm it was here in beautiful suburban Caledonia? Well, just as we said, the warm weather ended and it was below freezing on Tuesday. But today I saw another sure sign of Spring. I happened to look through the sliding glass doors of the dining room and there on the railing of the deck sat the biggest, plumpest, most beautiful robin redbreast you have ever seen! Aha! The first robin of the year! It just sat there for the longest time! It was almost as if God wanted me to have an opportunity to enjoy the glory of his creation. Finally, I decided to see how close I could get to that robin. I silently slid the glass door open. The bird didn't even notice me! I began to slide the screen open when a gust of wind came up. That robin never even glanced in my direction as it fell unmoving onto the deck... frozen solid! A sure sign of Spring!

I heard a moving story today. It seems that a Carlos M. Rojas was mistakenly receiving the military life insurance checks for the deceased soldier-son of a Carlos G. Rojas. Carlos M. put in a lot of effort to try to locate Carlos G. He succeeded and returned $200,000 of life insurance checks to the bereaved father. That is a really good thing he did.

But then I thought of the Smoking Christian. The indulgences issued by the Church of the Smoking Christian really aren't moving that well. Maybe we need something new and different. It occurred to me that perhaps there are a lot of young soldiers who have no families or girlfriends or anything. What if we were able to persuade them to make the Smoking Christian the beneficiary of their military life insurance? I admit, if there is financial gain to be made from this war then we might not be as anxious to see it come to an end. But then I remembered that there are at least thousands of American businessmen who already feel that way!

Poor taste? Inconsiderate? Offensive? OK. There are always Girl Scout Cookies. The Girl Scouts of America seem to have done all right for themselves for a number of years. I don't know. What do you think?

You guys are great! Thanks for stopping by!

1 Comments:

Blogger Smoking Christian said...

How about "Girl Scout Cigarettes?"
(I don't believe there is any law that says children can't SELL cigarettes, is there?)

This reminds me, your church's "Love Offerings" have been arriving late recently. Have you people never heard of FEDEX OVERNIGHT? I've been forced to borrow beer from my new neighbors on several occasions. My lovely wife thinks it makes a bad first impression.

9:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home