Wednesday, April 04, 2007

I'M CONCERNED!

I’m concerned. At the risk of beating an overheated dead horse, what ARE we going to do about this global warming thing? I’m hearing very few serious suggestions even though our tree-hugging friend up in the Great Northwest has logged in with his newfound left-wing, bleeding heart stuff. My other reader was almost burned out of his home as a result of global warming induced brushfires and he hasn’t made a donation or anything. I’ve tried hard to raise awareness but it seems that my evangelistic gifts are limited to the parish. It’s like putting a frog into a pot of water and turning on the heat! We’re just going to pretend that nothing is wrong while our globe warms and we slowly boil to death.

Or….

I’m getting ready for bed. It’s 26 degrees outside and we have a brand new blanket of snow covering beautiful, suburban Caledonia. I drove through a blinding snowstorm this evening which was worse than anything we had during the winter! The forecast is for freezing temperatures and snow for the next four days up through Easter Sunday. (Let me tell you this…I’m sure glad we don’t have an outdoor sunrise service planned for this year!) Snow in April is not uncommon here in the Mitten State. Maybe that’s the point? Maybe everything is going on just as it usually does? Maybe things aren’t really getting warmer at all? Maybe our Anaheim Hills reader can keep his donations? Maybe our Great Northwesterner can still plan on skiing a little longer? Maybe…

Other totally uninteresting news:

I finished “1776” on Monday, my day off. I really like the way McCullough writes history. Where was he when I was taking history classes at the H of E? I can’t remember reading a work of history when I came to really care about the characters in the story! I’m going to take your advice, Yak, and try and find his other book you recommended.

I was working on my Easter Sunday sermon today. You know what? When you’ve been preaching Easter sermons for as long as I have it sometimes seems like there is no new way to go about it! Don’t get me wrong. The resurrection is still the fulcrum upon which our faith rests. I love preaching the resurrection! But I’ve come to this conclusion and I think it is really important. It’s not about being creative in approaching the resurrection; it’s about the resurrection itself! Just tell the truth and thank God that he’s given me the privilege of telling it another year!

If I don’t see you before Sunday, have a blessed celebration of Christ’s resurrection!

8 Comments:

Blogger Yakimaniac said...

From the Yak of the Great Green Forests:

Thank you for updating us on the GW issue in your town. Here in beautiful Yakivegas the temp is near 80, the rivers are swollen with precious snow melt from my once white ski hill and our brown-skinned population is readying their laundry for the formerly ice-choked Yakima River. I could just cry.

This GW thing has got me so depressed I went out and bought John and Theresa Kerry's new book, "An Inconvenient Time for Us."

7:31 PM  
Blogger Shiloh Guy said...

One really great advantage to our cold weather is that Anne of the House is freezing at night and has to stay close for body heat!

12:17 AM  
Blogger Yakimaniac said...

Shiloh dude,

It appears Michigan has bigger problems than the irony of battling global warming and excess snow at the same time. This just in from the Detroit News:

"We have come to the conclusion that the crisis Michigan faces is not a shortage of revenue, but an excess of idiocy. Facing a budget deficit that has passed the $1 billion mark, House Democrats Thursday offered a spending plan that would buy a MP3 player or iPod for every school child in Michigan.

No cost estimate was attached to their hare-brained idea to "invest" in education. Details, we are promised, will follow.

We wonder how financially strained Michigan residents will feel about paying higher taxes to buy someone else's kid an iPod."

I can't wait to hear what you have to say about this brillant idea! And I thought OUR legislative bodies out here in the Great Pacific Northwest had lost their minds!

Mrs. Yak

8:05 PM  
Blogger Yakimaniac said...

Further proof that iPods are uncool!

(When the gracious pols in Michigan make plasma TV screens uncool, I might move there.)

1:42 AM  
Blogger Shiloh Guy said...

Yaksimonious friends,

What can I say? I'm beflubbered. (That is a new word coined by Anne of the House in her upcoming book.) Just one more reason for me to feel like my party has totally abandoned me. There's a rumor going around that the party met without me and cast me out with the words, "He's not insane enough yet to stay in the party."

Do any of those politicians actually believe 1 out of 1,000 Michigan students will actually use their I-Pods or MP3 players for educational purposes? I think Motown Records must be behind this.

I hope you have a wonderful Resurrection Day worship.

11:24 PM  
Blogger OG said...

Shiloh-padre:

Thank you for spreading the truth - I was outside last evening, grilling burgers for 11 people, and my teeth were chattering! Global warming indeed!

I trust you were able to find a fresh look at this momentous Resurrection Day. This is the morning where ministers around the world will say, "The Lord is risen," and the congregation will automatically respond with either an "Amen" or "He is risen indeed!"

Back in the mid-'80s, I was asked to take the Easter service at my church. I decided to open from the point of view of one of the disciples - shocked, dismayed and lost. After a dramatic pause at the pulpit, the first words to leave my mouth were, "The Lord is dead." Without thinking, someone in the back of the room piped up, "Amen!"

8:08 AM  
Blogger Shiloh Guy said...

Ogmeister,

That, my friend, is priceless!

7:32 PM  
Blogger OG said...

FYI - global warming has resulted in snow on my lawn and freezing temperatures for the last two days - April 11 & 12!

6:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home