Friday, November 24, 2006

IT'S CALLED THANKSGIVING!


Some people get really upset about the commercialization of holidays. I try not to let it bother me too much. I can celebrate the holidays any way I want to and their personal preferences don’t get to me…much.

It really doesn’t bother me that the schools have almost all gone to “Holiday Concerts” and the music that is played and sung has nothing whatsoever to do with the birth of Jesus. Looking at Christmas decorations in early November doesn’t annoy me. I love Christmas and it just can’t last too long for me. I’m thrilled when two of our local radio stations go to all Christmas music all the time the week before Thanksgiving. The Easter Bunny doesn’t hinder my celebration of the resurrection of Jesus. And I’m not an enemy of Halloween when children dress up and get free candy.

I guess I’m either incredibly lax in my convictions or just really laid back. I don’t know.

But I got rather peeved the other day. I’m tired of hearing people on television wish me a happy Turkey Day. Turkey Day? When did it become Turkey Day? This is just over the top for me. No, I don’t feel like the Pilgrims are getting cheated. Our Thanksgiving celebrations don’t really go back to the Pilgrims. Thanksgiving goes back to President Lincoln who declared the day to be a national day of prayer and thanksgiving to God for bringing us most of the way through the bloodiest conflict our nation has ever known. The very name of the holiday begs the question. Thanksgiving! If we are going to celebrate Thanksgiving then there has to be Someone to whom we are giving thanks and to call it Turkey Day really bugs me.

I think I’m somewhat inconsistent here. I admit it. I should probably be more offended about Christmas and Resurrection Day too. Go ahead and point out my logical fallacies. For some reason, this really touched a sore spot for me.

We celebrated our first Thanksgiving in our new home today. Aaron wasn’t able to join us because he lives too far away. Caleb came down from university for the weekend. Today is also John’s 20th birthday. This may be our last Thanksgiving with these six kids around the table. John leaves for the Air Force in twelve days. Who knows how many years it will be until he can rejoin us for Thanksgiving? I’m grateful for my family, both here and in California. I’m thankful for God’s gracious provision, both spiritually and materially. I’m thankful to God. It’s not just Turkey Day here!

5 Comments:

Blogger Smoking Christian said...

I look at your picture thinking, 'Wow, I had no idea Ernest Hemmingway was so deeply religious!'

Where did you get it?

6:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of my peckerdillos (or something of this nature) is using the shortcut of "xmas" when you mean to say "Christmas". I, for one, can't do it (except in this comment).

Now, I'm sure some people can honestly say that the "x" is meant to be a cross in place of the name of Christ...but, not me. I'm compelled to write out the full title of "Christmas" even when writing a note that only my eyes will ever see.

Of course, part of the method to my general madness may be my irrational desire to balance out a few other seemingly minor off base things that I try to get away with where giving respect to Christ is buried somewhere else on my list of priorities...when it may be a lot more convenient for me.

8:02 PM  
Blogger Shiloh Guy said...

Dear YB of the SC

Regarding your comment on Shilohman and Xmas. The "X" is not supposed to be a cross. It is the Greek letter "chi" which is the first letter in the word "Christos" or Christ. It is a time-honored abbreviation used by theologians forever. I understand your desire to honor Christ by writing out the full name of Christmas but the abbreviation is not looked down upon by people who use Greek all the time. I use the X in my sermon notes for Christ, Xnty for Christianity, etc. You remember the ICHΘUS inside the fish symbol? The CH is actually supposed to be an X so it should look like IXΘUS standing for Jesus Christ, Son of God, Savior.
One would think that the thing most evangelicals would be upset about is the "mas" is Christmas. It, of course, stands for Christ's Mass, meaning the feast day of Jesus in Roman Catholicism. We are actually wishing people a Merry Christ's Mass Day!
Just some thoughts!

5:28 PM  
Blogger Yakimaniac said...

Anyone whΘ knΘws and uses the HTML cΘde fΘr the Greek Theta symbΘl is a flippin' genius in my bΘΘk.

1:17 AM  
Blogger Anne of The House said...

yes shilohman-
You are a genius!Do you love to shock people?? I will never be the same knowing Ol' Abe instituted Thanksgiving! Something about the hat ...and the feathers....

11:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home