Saturday, November 04, 2006

MEMO TO: THE SMOKING CHRISTIAN




RE: JOHN KERRY

I must have seen the video clip of John Kerry's "joke" twenty times. I also heard his original explanation of his words as a "botched joke." I'll tell you what I think although it is very difficult to judge a person's intent.

I believe him. I think he botched a joke. It was pretty clear that when he finished his comment he looked around with a little smirk on his face waiting for laughter that never came.

When I told my lovely wife that I believed it was a joke she responded, "But it wasn't even funny!"

I told her I didn't think it was funny either but that doesn't mean it wasn't intended as a joke. For example, when someone tells a racist joke it is only funny to racists. We don't think it is funny but the teller does. He reveals that he is a racist and we learn what is really deep down in his heart and mind.

When someone tells a "joke" about how people with bad grades end up in the army it reveals something to us about what is really in his heart and mind. I think it is very clear what John Kerry thinks about the army.

Yes, he intended to take a shot at President Bush.

The only thing he succeeded in shooting was his future as a presidential candidate or even a senator with any credibility.

SC, you may have been a poor student in college; I don't know. But the reason neither you nor I ended up in Viet Nam had more to do with our lottery numbers than our grades!

Let's be honest here even though honesty seems to be a lost commodity in politics. I'm a registered Democrat and have voted Democratic in every presidential election up to the last one. That statement of Kerry's had to be one of the stupidest political snafus I have ever heard! Is there no one on his staff to keep him from destroying his own career?

1 Comments:

Blogger Smoking Christian said...

I was only mad at the President and the White House for seemingly pretending to think the "joke" wasn't clear and waving it around like the bloody shirt. I felt that dishonest.

As for the rest of our discussion, I am for a draft. I've always been angry that it's not the poor students in our wars, it's the students from poor families. Many joined up to get some cash for college later on or to learn something in the military. Richer kids don't have to do this. I've heard all the arguments against the draft. I don't disagree with any of them. Rumsfeld is right, it is not good to train guys who can't wait to get out because they never wanted to be in the military to begin with.
He also points out that the draftees in Viet Nam prooved to have very poor attitudes. (Why? I wonder.) But this system is simply unfair.

I was listening to somebody last night talk about how we live like there was no war going on because it does not touch our lives in any way.
That would probably not be the case if you actually had a son or cousin there.

Anyhow, I will say Kerry prooved he might be an idiot by making a joke about poor students in Iraq because somebody should have pointed out how true it could be for many. If they had been whiz kids, they would have recieved a scholarship to some nice college where they could be sipping beers and chasing girls. I guess he forgot about the plight of many who ended up starring in a Sniper Video on Arab television. This was not their first choice.

7:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home