Friday, September 29, 2006

THIS AND THAT AND NOTHING MORE


I’ve been so busy over the last ten days that I haven’t had a minute to stop and think about writing here at The Shilohman. There hasn’t been much in the news to make me stop and criticize. I don’t have a creative bone in my body and the Smoking Christian has been on such a roll that I feel completely intimidated. How does he do it? It’s been a tough week.

The buyers of our house took us to the cleaners. Somehow they found out we already had money down on another house and that we had already started refinishing the floors in that house. What do you know? They sent an addendum to the buy-sell agreement with the clear message that they would simply walk away from their earnest money if we didn’t go along with it. They wanted $2,500 for repairs on our four-year-old house! I’m so tired of all this. My lovely wife just wants out so we just signed it and walked.

(But let me tell you, the floors in the new house look absolutely gorgeous! To tell you the truth, the money we put into the floors probably increased the value of the house way beyond our imagination!)

Mia and I went out and picked out the new appliances last night…washer, dryer, frig, and water softener. Ouch! (But the refinished floors are beautiful!)

My friend, the electrician, is coming up tomorrow to put some outlets in the upstairs which has been attic space. It’s going to be two large bedrooms for us! Eventually he will have to replace the whole service but for now we’ll just get it up to code. (The floors up there were never, ever finished! They’re the loveliest pine floors you’ve ever seen!)

Tomorrow Mia and I celebrate our sixth anniversary. Needless to say, she’s a saint! She has made life an adventure! And she brought me these five great kids too! It’s been a great six years and I hope God gives us many more. She’s made me a better person.

Is everyone still planning on Parents’ Weekend at the Harvard of Evangelicalism? When will you be arriving? I had planned on getting that Sunday off but it’s not going to work out that way so I have to get back to Michigan Saturday night. Let me know what you’re thinking.

Oh, by the way, you should really come and see my floors!

7 Comments:

Blogger Smoking Christian said...

Happy Anniversay!

PS: And that's the nicest floor I've ever seen in my life and belive me, I've seen more than my share very close up.

5:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We plan to be in the general area all day Friday and Saturday...you have my cell phone number so please use it so we can track each other down. The only "don't miss" event as far as I'm concerned is the Talent Show, which I believe to be on Saturday night.

Now, as for floors...it is a relatively wonderful experience to get down to the original wood and then really make it come alive, but has anyone done any research on those who are fond of going beneath the original wood floors to the original concrete slab and celebrating a real blessed event?

9:16 PM  
Blogger Yakimaniac said...

Correction YB - the Talent Show is Friday night @ 8PM. Try not to arrive late this year. We're still getting over the bruises and abrasions from saving seats for the four of you!

Mrs. Yak

2:15 AM  
Blogger OG said...

Happy Anniversary Shilohcouple! Mrs. OG and I passed 12 years last month - my personal best as she likes to remind me.

Your floors look very, very nice.

3:15 PM  
Blogger Yakimaniac said...

Oops YB - now I stand corrected. The injuries occured TWO years ago at the talent show, since Graham was AWOL last year...

And I'm getting the impression that Mr. Yak & I are the longest married of the quad bloggers. It'll be 30 years next May! Yikes!

Mrs. Yak

6:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Would that be red oak?

7:18 AM  
Blogger Shiloh Guy said...

Dear YB of Yak,

Living, Dining, and bedrooms are a blend of red and white oak.

Kitchen is maple.

Upstairs bedrooms are pine.

5:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home