Saturday, October 21, 2006

GOING TO THE DOGS


We have a new dog. We already had one indoor dog. Caspian is a nine-year-old, white, giant standard poodle. Mia bought him when her husband died. He’s a great watchdog. That means he barks at every sound at the door and every kid who walks by the house. His bark is terrifying. He is a coward.

We had another dog up until Christmas. He was my dog. Dundee never came into the house. Roz bought him 16 years ago because he was newborn and so cute. He was inside for about two months when she decided she didn’t want a dog in the house. That was how Dundee became an outdoor dog. He was ok with it. He was half Australian sheepdog and half golden retriever. Very furry. Eventually he couldn’t stand to be inside because he got too warm. Dundee went to doggy heaven during Christmas break.

Honestly, that was kind of a relief. The neighbors in our old fancy neighborhood didn’t like seeing him outside in his dog run. Sometimes he would bark at animals he saw (or imagined he saw) in the field before they built all the houses behind ours. We were down to one dog. And Caspian is a pretty big piece of furniture in this smaller house we’ve moved into!

But now we have another dog. Mia decided a couple of months ago that Mary, our youngest, would really benefit from having a little dog to take care of. It would be good for her. You know, help develop responsibility, increase her self-confidence, etc. I agreed. After we got settled in our new house we could get Mary a little dog. Caspian would probably enjoy having the company.

Earlier this week Mia was looking through the paper to see what was available. Just looking, you know. But then she saw her! A pedigree black standard poodle, ten months old. She called the lady just to find out some details about her. She was available for less than half the price these dogs usually command. The lady sent pictures via email. I have to admit it, she was gorgeous!

To make a long story a little shorter, she is now ours. She’s a wonderful dog. She’s a standard poodle so she’s not small. Mary loves her to death. She’s adjusted wonderfully. Caspian is like a toddler when you bring home the new baby. I actually found him lying on our leather couch yesterday morning. What is that all about? At least he’s not peeing all over our new floors!

Mary named her Chloe!

4 Comments:

Blogger OG said...

Mrs. OG and I are not animal people. So, when I say I am happy for you, it is really more of a politeness thing.

Mrs. OG says three kids (she includes me) is enough. Without animals we are forced to teach our children responsibility and self-confidence in other, more creative ways. And, even without dog hair, these wood floors require constant dusting.

12:12 AM  
Blogger Shiloh Guy said...

Dear OG,

I can tell y'all aren't animal people because if you were you would know that poodles don't shed! They grow hair, not fur, and no one in our household is losing their hair.

4:51 PM  
Blogger Smoking Christian said...

Did you know Standard Poodles usually rank number one in intelligence? I really like those dogs. They're more like friends than pets.

As you may know, I became quite the quasi-dog expert working on Pedigree dog food for five years. How many people do you know who have been to the world famous Waltham Center in England TWICE? Me baby! I also did a documentary on the place with a famous BBC director a few years ago.
I'm practically a vet!

I also love stupid dogs too. Especially the genetically retarded Cocker Spaniel. Did you know it's against the law in England to cut off their tails? Now, dogs with their tails cut off look wierd to me.

10:36 AM  
Blogger Yakimaniac said...

My mother had a black standard poodle named "Count." He (and she) was constantly ridiculed - our family being more of the farm and working dog persuasion. I have no idea where she got him and I have no idea what happened to him. If my mother could remember anything I think she would be resentful of the way we treated him. It makes me sad, but not very much.

10:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home